September 5, 2012

NICU day 14

It is so hard to believe that we have reached 2 weeks since Olivia entered this world.  She has come a LONG way in 14 days and we hope the next 14 days will have just as much improvement.

Today was a decently quiet day for Olivia.  The big thing for today, however, was that she finally had her nasal canula removed, which means she is completely breathing on her own!  It was such a great surprise to see her without it today!  And she is becoming more alert because the neurologist who reviewed her EEG has recommended that she be weaned off the strongest anti-seizure medicine, phenobarbital, that she has been on since birth.  It was fun to see her eyes a few times today.

She wasn't too sure about everything going on and wouldn't keep her eyes open for very long but it was still refreshing to see her more alert and awake.

I've been getting some good cuddle time in with her each day during her feedings. It is by far my favorite time of day!
 
The occupational therapist began therapy today with Olivia and we actually got to see some of things she will do each time.  It's basically just infant massage, working on Olivia's joints and "waking up" her nervous system.  I will be taking a few infant massage classes at the hospital before we bring her home so we can continue this therapy at home.
 
We still haven't met with the neurologist or the doctor this week to discuss any of the tests that have been happening.  I kind of feel like we are walking in the dark until the MRI on Friday so until then, I am soaking up all my time with this precious baby girl and trusting the Lord for complete healing.

2 comments:

  1. I read a beautiful Prayer of Protection today.

    "The light of God surrounds me, the love of God enfolds me, the power of God protects me, the presence of God watches over me. Wherever I am, God is!"

    God is most certainly with Olivia and all of you. I do believe that she may be the most beautiful baby ever!

    Love you all,
    Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know your family or even remember how I stumbled onto your blog tonight, but I am so glad I did! I would normally never comment on someone's blog I don't know, but I think I ended up here for a reason. My son was born at 32 weeks and spent 4 weeks at the same NICU your sweet Olivia is staying. Your ER nurse is one of our favorite people in the world (I was on bed rest in the hospital for 6 weeks before I had my son so our nurses are like family to us) and was there in the middle of the night with us when I had my C-Section. She is pretty much one of the most fabulous people in the world!! Olivia is in amazing care!! I know they will get her healthy and home as fast as they are capable. Dr. Lin and Dr. Wagle are amazing and all the NPs and nurses are such experts in their fields. The NICU is a very unique experience but I can say 19 months later that it made me a better mom and a stronger person. When we were there it was hard to talk to my other mom friends about what I was feeling since most of my friends had never experienced having a premie, thank the Lord! I would read blogs of other premie moms to help me cope and find commonalities. I needed to hear from other moms that they were also so sad they didn't get the normal "going home with baby" experience, knowledge on how somedays are one step forward, two steps back but that before you know it you will be home with that sweet bundle of joy. As I dropped off my son today at his preschool and he kissed me goodbye, I couldn't help but think "I can't believe he was once my little premie who needed us for everything" I also found moms who would make me laugh and give me fun information like, there are perks to spending time in the NICU, when you bring home a NICU baby, loud noises won't bother them and they are already on a schedule so your work is done in that department, ha! If you ever have any questions or just need someone to listen who has gone through what you are going through, please don't hesitate to email me, allisondolan5@yahoo.com. We will put your family and sweet Olivia on our prayer list. She is absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete