August 27, 2012

olivia has arrived!

Well, it didn't happen as scheduled but Olivia Ruth made her debut on Wednesday, August 22 at 8:11pm.  It was quite the traumatic experience for all of us and I'm hoping to capture at least a bit of what actually happened on Wednesday and the days following. 

Wednesday started as a pretty normal day but I was feeling a little off.  I couldn't quite put my finger on it so I rested quite a bit and tried to take it easy.  Around 4pm, I began to feel really tight in my stomach, like a contraction, but nothing too concerning since I have been having contractions for about a week.  However, this pain never really let up and around 5pm, I began having pretty bad back pain.  After a call to Jason and my mom, I just decided to lay down and see if it would go away.  After an hour, the pain wasn't going away and I began having waves of stronger pain.  Finally, about 6:30, Jason had packed our bags and basically forced me to go to the hospital.  Looking back, I have never been more thankful for my husband's persistance.

We met my parents at the hospital so they could take Hannah and I checked into the ER.  Upon first assessment, everything looked fine.  Olivia's heart rate was in the 130s and the doctor was going to give me an IV with fluid and some medication to stop the contractions.  However, about 15-20 minutes into our time in the ER, Olivia's heart rate began dropping and the doctor knew he had to get her out if she was going to be born alive.  The next 5 minutes were somewhat of a blur to me as I'm laying in the bed being rushed down the hall to the OR and nurses yelling orders to get the anesthesiologist and NICU team to the OR for delivery.   Unfortunately the anesthesiologist didn't make it and I was cut open with just a local anesthesia.  I felt most of the cutting but fortunately I don't remember a lot of it...and I am SO thankful I don't because apparently it was pretty traumatic for everyone, including the doctor and nurses.  The anesthesiologist did show up during the procedure and put me completely out so the doctor could finish the surgery without me screaming or crying anymore.

Olivia was born at 34 1/2 weeks, 5lbs 4oz, 17 inches, 8:11pm.  She was taken immediately to the NICU where they hooked her up to every machine imaginable to get her body working how it needs to.


After I woke up in recovery, I was taken to my room and greeted by lots of family and friends.  I was still in a fog and don't really remember a thing about Wednesday night.  But I am so thankful for all the people who came to be with Jason during this scary time.

We learned Wednesday night that Olivia was without oxygen for a period of time and we have a long road ahead of healing ahead of us but we know that God is the Great Physician and our sweet girl is a fighter. 

Thank you for following us on this journey.  I will get caught up on where things are today and will TRY to keep this updated daily as things progress with our sweet Olivia.  And thank you to all the people who have been praying for Olivia.  We have seen miracle after miracle already and know God is up to something great with this little one!

5 comments:

  1. Stacey,

    I have been thinking of you every day and praying for your sweet girl. Please let me know if there is ANYTHING you need us to do. We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about you so, so much. This is tough. Olivia is amazing, and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so thankful for Facebook and that Jason was able to begin posting information quickly so that we could all be praying for you. We are continuing to pray for you and sweet Olivia, and that the Lord would heal her little body in ways that amaze everyone but Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something GREAT..indeed! Love, Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying for you guys every day, and are so thankful for your testimony in how you guys are responding to all of this.
    We cannot wait to meet miss Olivia!

    ReplyDelete