July 19, 2011

30th birthday getaway

Over the weekend, I surprised Jason with a trip to St. Louis.  Well, he knew about the trip but not what we would be doing.  I was SO excited for this trip!  Even though I knew what we would be doing and how much fun we would have, I was really excited to have a weekend away just us.

So, we headed out Saturday afternoon after Hannah's swim lessons.  My parents were gracious to keep Hannah for 2 nights and 3 days.  (Thanks, Mom & Dad!)  We left Fayetteville around 12:30pm and arrived at our hotel in St. Louis around 6pm.  I hade made reservations at a steakhouse in Westport Plaza for 7pm so we had just enough time to check in and get ready for a fun date night.  I did lots of research on where to go a few months ago so I was crossing my fingers that this would be a good and fun place to eat.  And it was!  Seriously, some of the best steaks we've ever had!  And they also had an A-MAZING chocolate cake for dessert.  And even though we were there to celebrate Jason's birthday, the dessert was more for me than him! Ha!

After dinner we walked around Westport Plaza for a bit and then headed to Target because I forgot my purse (including ID, credit card that I used for all our reservations....I did have a MINOR freaking out moment about 4 hours into the trip) and I needed something to carry my stuff all weekend.  Jason was super understanding and even though I felt like a complete idiot, he made me feel better about the whole situation.  So I did get a cute little purse out of the deal. :)

When we got back to the hotel, I decided to give Jason the "itinerary" for Sunday.  Inside the itinerary, he found tickets to the U2 concert at Busch Stadium!  He has always wanted to go see U2 and the last time they were in the US, we had only been married about 3 weeks and didn't go.  I have been planning this since January and I was SO excited we could go!

Needless to say, he was surprised!

Sunday morning we went to the Anheuser-Busch Brewery.  Another thing Jason has wanted to do for awhile. We even got to see a few of the Anheuser Clydesdales and they are HUGE and so pretty!  Then we got the see the entire brewing process.  It really is a neat thing and I would recommend anyone to do the tour if you are in St. Louis. (And it's free!)


 This picture doesn't even do the size of this horse justice! Amazingly HUGE and so beautiful!


After the brewery tour, we headed to downtown St. Louis.  We decided just to park and walk around since we knew as it got closer to concert time things would get crazy.  So we walked to the Gateway Arch. 


 Please ignore the sweaty, shiny faces...it was pushing 100 degrees at this point! :)


We didn't go up in it but we did walk around the museum and got to see some of the history from the Lewis & Clark Expedition.  We also sat in the elevator car that would take you to the top of the Arch.  It was a tight space but I'm sure we'll be venturing to the top with Hannah one day so I was okay to wait. :)


After the Arch, we made the trek across downtown St. Louis to Union Station.  This adventure proved that Jason & I are NOT good navigators!  What looked like 6-7 blocks on the map, turned into about 20 blocks!  And it was 100 + degrees outside!  We finally made it to Union Station.  I only threatened to sit down and cry once.  Once in Union Station, we had a relaxing and cool late lunch.  After recuperating from the crazy heat indoors, we decided to venture back out and go to Busch Stadium for the concert.


The walk back wasn't nearly as long and we got there a lot quicker than I anticipated so we found a place in the shade to just sit.  It was great!  Then, we went in the stadium!  It was seriously unreal.  I felt like I was in a dream the whole time.  Even today as I write this and look through our pictures, I CANNOT believe we saw U2 in concert!  I have to be honest, I was just as excited as Jason, if not more!  I spent a summer in Ireland during college so my love for U2 runs deep. :)  Anyways, we were in the stadium really early but it was neat to walk around and be among all the fans, old and young.

The INCREDIBLE 360 stage and screen.

 Waiting for U2 to come on stage!

We thought U2 was going to take the stage around 8pm but it was actually after 9pm but it was totally worth the wait!  Seriously, y'all will laugh, but I could've cried during the concert.  And I think Jason did. ;) 




I think Jason said it best while we were there, "seeing U2 live is an experience."  And an experience we won't soon forget!

Happy Birthday, sweet Husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment